As many of you know, I have been trying to eat right and treat my body better then I have in the last. I have a little under 70 pounds to lose to get myself at my 200 pound weight goal, so cutting corners where I can really helps. I have compiled here a list of some of my favorite 150 calorie or less snacks I like to munch on!
~ 4 ounces of baby carrots and two tablespoons of fat free Ranch dressing. I find that the carrots are harder to chew, so that prevents me from eating them too fast. Also, 4 ounces is a TON of baby carrots (I’ve found between 20 and 30). With them being so small, they also keep me munchin for an hour and let me brain register that I’ve eaten.
~ Athenos Greek Yogurt doubles. They have these in different flavors at the grocery store and are only 100 calories. The yogurt by itself is really bitter and tastes like you’re eating sour cream, but mix it with whatever comes with it (I get the honey ones) and they’re delicious.
~ Mrs Freshelys granola bars. I found this one at the dollar store – generic Nutrigrain bars. I saw them in blueberry, strawberry, and apple cinnamon. Whole grain oats, and fruit filling. Comes in a box of six for a dollar and 100 calories each.
~ Fruit snacks – this one surprised me. The Great Value (Wal-Mart) brand gummy fruit snacks like you put in your kids lunch boxes are 100 calories a pack. I got a pack of, like, 35 for four bucks. Gives you the right amount of sweet, and allows you feel like you’re cheating when you’re not.
~Green Beans – Now these little green guys are not only good for you, but they’re fun to eat (I know I’m weird) I buy the canned ones, which are about 20 calories for a half cup, and add bacos, which are 30 calories per tablespoon, then pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. Gives me that bacon flavor that makes green beans so good, and they fill me up without filling me out.
Goldfish – “The little snack that smiles back until you bite their heads off!” I really like the Mix Ups pizza flavored Goldfish. These guys are really yummy and an easy snack to grab. Calorie count – 140 in approximately 55 pieces. Lots of little fish to keep you snacking forever. Great alternative to greasy chips because these are baked and not fried.
~ Squeeze Applesauce – these things are AMAZING. They come in four different varieties (Apple, AppleCinnamon, AppleBanana, and AppleStrawberry) and they are only 60 calories a pouch. Great to throw in your bag for a snack at work, whole you’re hiking or camping, or just easy to keep and have applesauce anytime and any place you want without requiring a spoon or refrigeration, and they’re just the right amount of sweet to satisfy my sweet tooth. My favorite is the AppleBanana flavored.
~Whey Protein I had to get use to the texture of it, but at 100 calories per scoop and 15 grams of protein, it was worth getting used to. I get the strawberry flavored and I used it in one cup of Simply Almond milk (35 calories), and it’s a healthy version of strawberry milk. Of course if you don’t want to spring on the extra calories you can also make it in water. Throw it in a blender with some milk and ice and it transforms into a delicious smoothie. You can do so many things with it, I love it.
* ¼ cup Jelly Belly jelly beans – O.M.G. I am SO glad I found this out. 35 little Jelly Belly jelly beans (about ¼ of a cup) have only 140 calories in it. I don’t know about you, but I am OBSESSED with jellybeans. If you go to the Jelly Belly Belly Factory in California they have this stuff called Hodge Podge which is a mix of all the non jelly bean misshapen candies, and they have these things called Belly Flops which are imperfect jelly beans… Hodge Podge is 150 Calories per ¼ cup.
* One Medium Sized Egg – weather you hard-boil it, scramble it or sunny side up it, the incredible edible egg has protein in it to make you full and keep you full for a bit, and you can’t beat it for about 75 calories.
* Fruits and vegetables – most vegetables are about 50 calories in ½ cup or more, same for fruits. Bananas range between 110-130, apples 120-140, and the other fruits are about 100 calories per fruit – it would take me ages to sit here and write out everyone.
* Sugar Free Jello and pudding cups – There’s always room for Jello. The single serving containers have 30 calories each, so eat it up!
* Single serving cups of pudding – weather it be chocolate, vanilla, or swirled they run about 70 calories a cup.
* Light String Cheese – I don’t know about you, but I love cheese. These things are only 50 calories per string cheese, so I can have my cheese fix!
* 5 Cracked Pepper & Olive Oil Triscuits (100 calories) and one wedge of laughing cow cheese, any variety (around 35 calories) – protein and fiber.
* One fried egg (about 80 calories) and two slices of Turkey Bacon (40 calories). Protein packed snack.
What kind of snacks do you like? Add yours to my list in a comment!